Monday, May 05, 2003

(UNFINISHED WORK)

I love the stage.

Well, I'd love it even more if I could "act" to save my own life. I did try on several occasions, with varying results. My theatre experinece cound be summarized as follows:

Grade school: The occasional class presentation where skits are involved. I remember particular skit where we rapped the first encounter of Portugese-born explorer Ferdinand Magellan and the Philippine people. Ptricipation: Raja Humabon (lead role)

High School (early years): the first 2 years in Dulaang Sibol gave me a broad range of theatrical experiences. I've had the chance to explore my vast emotional spectum in my roles as siga, killer, thug, bully, beast of darkness and one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I think I retained one of these personlities to this day. I'm still one of the Horsemen of the Appcalypse. Participation: Support cast
Siga: Hervacio Tubulan
Killer: Paglilitis ni Mang Serapio

Horseman of the Apocalypse (Famine): Isa

High School (latter years): I dissapeared of the stage during my last year. I spent more time in stage carpentry and prop making. This was also the time I started playing in the orchestra pit with my trusty flute and saxophone. Participation: Noisemaker

College (early years): None. I was busy working on my new image as an intellectual jock. I was competeing in UAAP track and field while being in the Dean's List in the Physics w/ Computer Engineering block. For those who actually met me at this stage I'd like to remind you that I said I was WORKING on my new image.

College (latter years): Joined college theatre for 2 years. Still haven't returned to stage. Was lightsman for ENTABLADO. I loved the fact that I would start attending rehersals only a week before play date. Wanted to become a professional stage light designer.

College (latter-latter years): Left Ateneo college. Went to Ateneo de Naga to finish. Still participated as lightsman for various plays offering my services to rival directors. Was constantly frustrated with the lack of artistic freedom in light desgin. Mostly did as was told.
Participation: Magic Monkey

College (latter-latter-latter years): Took the stage once more. From supporting roles to lead roles. I started being noticed by local directors for good looks, height, excellent build and mastery of english language. (Yes...yes...its all relative) Got to play Marc Anthony in Shakespere's Julius Caesar. Won the admiration of hundreds (or maybe just a handful of people) and subsequently landed the biggest role as to date: Jerry in The Zoo Story.

For all its worth Zoo Story was pretty much my crowning acheivement. Those who have seen it might have an idea of the dismal acting career that preceeded it. But nonetheless


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home